Considering the current war situation in Yemen, Italy permanently blocks arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Yesterday, the decision was announced by the Italian authorities. This information is given in a report of Al-Jazeera.
Last week, the United States announced a halt to arms sales to the two countries. Italy then announced such a decision.
The Saudi-led coalition is working with government forces to crack down on Houthi rebels in Yemen. More than 250,000 civilians have lost their lives in this civil war that started in 2014.
The United Nations (UN) has issued several warnings highlighting the current situation in the country. They say the humanitarian crisis has taken a more serious turn.
Considering the situation, Italy has stopped selling thousands of missiles to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
“I am announcing that the government has suspended the export of missiles and bombs to Saudi Arabia and the UAE,” Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said on Friday. “Through this, we are sending a clear message of peace,” he said.
“The decision is made to show respect for our commitment to human rights,” he also said.
The first suspension of arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates was announced in 2019. Luigi Di Maio did not mention Yemen at the time of the announcement.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE are ranked 10th and 11th in the list of countries to which Italy sells more arms, but their government has decided to blocks arms sales.
The government’s decision was welcomed by the Italian Peace and Disarmament Network. They say the government’s decision is historic.
According to one statistic, about 13,000 orders will be canceled as a result of such a decision of the government.