US President Donald Trump has canceled a peace deal with the Taliban after admitting responsibility for killing 12 people, including US troops, in a suicide bombing in Kabul. The news agency Reuters quoted Trump as tweeting on social media yesterday.
In a tweet message, the President of the United States noted, “An important deal could have been negotiated if they did not agree to a ceasefire and kill 12 innocent people during this important peace meeting.”
In a tweet, Trump said he planned to hold a secret meeting with the Taliban’s “chiefs” at Camp David’s Presidential compound in Maryland on Sunday, and also with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
But Trump immediately canceled the meeting after he claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing that took place on Thursday in the Taliban’s Kabul.
Donald Trump made the announcement when Special US Representative for Afghanistan, Jalmai Khalilzad, said on Monday that the draft US peace deal with the Taliban had been finalized and would be signed only if President Trump approved.
Khalilzad held a nine-point meeting with the Taliban for more than a year and finalized the draft.
The main point of that agreement was to withdraw 5,400 troops from Afghanistan within the next 20 weeks. There are currently about 14,000 US troops stationed in Afghanistan.